Your COL Financial Stocks Trading Guide
The Philippine stock market is one of the oldest stock markets in Asia. It was established in 1927 and it’s one of the most legitimate investment options in the country, yet only a few are taking advantage of it.
In 2017, the number of participants in the Philippine Stocks Exchange is a measly 0.5 percent of the total population, not even 1 percent! It somehow gave credence to a study that once said Filipinos are among the least financially literate people in the world.
Today, while the number hasn’t drastically improved, it’s worth noting that there is a gradual increase in the number of local investors, now making up 25.9 percent of the retail investors according to the Philippines stocks exchange early this year. It has recently become more accessible to Filipinos due to the increasing number of platforms that make stock trading more accessible, one of which is COL financial – one of the longest-running online stock trading platforms in the Philippines.
Figuring out how and where to put your money in the Philippine Stocks Exchange can be a challenging feat. It will take a lot of homework to make a well-informed decision even on your first trade. However, with the help of stockbrokers like COL Financial, setting an account that will give you a headstart is not as hard as you may think.
What is COL Financial?
Formerly known as CitisecOnline, COL Financial is an easy-to-use trading platform for investors to buy and sell shares in the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE). It also has a dedicated support service to help guide customers in their investment decisions, as well as a repository of articles consisting of expert opinions and comprehensive research.
Getting started is hassle-free. Here’s how to do it:
- Fill out all the forms.
- Customer Account Information Form (CAIF)
- Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
These forms can be downloaded from their website.
- Provide a photocopy of at least 1 valid ID issued by the Philippine government such as:
- Philippine Driver’s License
- SSS ID (1999 credit card type only)
- GSIS ecard plus
- Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) ID
- Comelec Voter’s ID
- For In-Trust-For Accounts: Birth Certificate of the beneficiary/child
- Photocopy of one (1) valid government-issued ID (Photo and signature must be clear).
- Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) or Work Permit from DOLE
- Authentication of a photocopy of one (1) valid passport (Photo and signature must be clear).
- Minimum deposit of the following:
- ₱ 25,000 for COL Plus
- ₱ 5,000 for COL Starter
- ₱ 1,000,000 for COL Premium
How to open an account or portfolio?
- Choose the type of account that fits your initial investment amount.
Minimum investment Features COL Starter ₱5,000 This is an entry-level account suitable for long term investments.
This account gives its users the access to basic research reports, standard market information, and end-of
COL Plus ₱25,000 An account suited for active traders. It gives access to streaming quotes, more comprehensive research reports, and live chart data with some customizable features. COL Premium ₱1 Million A premier investor account. It grants access to all the features in COL Financial’s platform. On top of that, they will assign a personal relationship manager to assist the investor with their investments.
For a more detailed comparison of the investment accounts’ features, click here.
- Download, print, and fill out the following forms from their website:
- Customer Account Information Form (CAIF)
- Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
- Generate a photocopy of (1) valid ID issued by the Philippine Government.
For your informationThe photocopy must be signed by the applicant.
- Submit documents to any of COL Financial’s Business Centers. Their addresses are as follows:
COL Business Center
2403B East Tower, PSE Centre, Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City 1605, Philippines
(+632) 651 5888.COL Investor Center – Makati
Ground Floor, Citibank Tower, Valero corner, Villar Streets, Makati City 1227, Philippines
(+632) 478 2954
(+632) 478 3316
(+632) 478 3275COL Investor Center – Davao
2nd Floor Robinsons Cybergate, J.P. Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City 8000, Philippines
(+6382) 287 8192
(+6382) 287 8193
(+6382) 287 8194iRemit branches for OFWs.
- Fund your account
Depending on the type of account you signed up for, fund it with at least the minimum required portfolio balance:
- ₱5,000 for Starter
- ₱25,000 for Regular
- ₱1,000,000 for Premium
Online Banking via Merchant Payment
- Bank of the Philippine Islands
- Banco de Oro
Over-the-Counter via Merchant Payment
- Bank of the Philippine Islands
- Banco de Oro
How to fund your account
There are various methods to fund your COL account. You can choose to bank in through your preferred bank or through various remittance centers. While banking in funds may be simple, the process may be different per bank or per remittance center.
Online bills payment
The online bills payment feature allows COL account holders to fund their account easily and conveniently through their bank. However, this funding method is only available for the following banks and may require biller (COL Financial) registration before any payments can be processed.
For BPI to process the payment, your biller (COL Financial Group) has to be recognized as your merchant of choice. Here’s a step-by-step process on how to do it.
1. Log on to www.bpiexpressonline.com
2. Enter your username and password
3. Under Payments & Reloading, click Bills Payments, click Enroll all other Bills
4. Enter your BPI account number and Joint Account Indicator No.
5. Under Bill information, select COL Financial GROUP, INC. as the enrollee merchant
6. Enter your COL Financial account number (8-digit code username)
on the space under Reference Number
7. Click Submit
Processing the payment
After COL has been selected, it will now appear under payments and reloading. Here’s how to do that:
1. Under Payments & Reloading, click Bills Payment, click Pay Bills Today
2. Under Pay, choose your COL Financial Account
3. Enter the amount
4. Choose a BPI account from where payment will come from
5. Click Submit
* You should receive a confirmation email from BPI if payment was successful.
BDO requires billers to be registered under the payee’s account before any payment can be processed. Here’s how to do that:
1. Log on to at https://www.mybdo.com.ph
2. Click the Add Company/Biller icon
3. Fill-out the Enrollment Details and choose the Channels or electronic banking services where you may want to pay your bills in the future.
4. Click Submit.
5. Click OK when the confirmation dialogue box appears.
Once the biller (COL Financial) is registered, you can now start funding your account through BDO’s bills payment feature.
1. Click the Pay Bills icon
2. Fill-out the Payment Details, choose your Payment Schedule, click Submit
3. Click OK when the confirmation dialogue box appears
* You should receive a confirmation email from BDO if payment was successful.
1. Login to www.metrobank.com.ph
2. Under eBanking Solutions, click Pay Bills
3. Under Special bill, select COL Financial GROUP, INC.
4. Enter your COL account number under Subscriber/Account Number
5. Enter your Phone No.
6. Choose the Metrobank account from which the payment will come from
7. Enter the amount 8. Select Immediate Payment
* You should receive a confirmation email from Metrobank if payment was successful.
1. Log on to www.aub.com.ph.
2. Enter your user name and password
3. Under the Transaction Menus, click Bills payment.
4. Choose the AUB account from which the payment will come from
5. Under the BiIller Institution/Merchant, choose COL Financial Group, Inc.
6. Enter your COL account number under COL Client Code.
7. Enter your COL account name
8. Enter the amount
9. Click PAY to confirm payment.
* You should receive a confirmation email from AUB if payment was successful.
Over-the-counter via merchant payment
Another method of funding your COL account is through over-the-counter payment at the accredited banks. Simply fill out your chosen bank’s deposit/payment slip with your COL account holder’s name and COL account number when making payments to ensure proper and timely credit to your account. The accredited banks are as follows:
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)
- Banco De Oro (BDO)
- Asia United Bank (AUB)
OFWs can fund their COL accounts through the following accredited agents:
- BDO Kabayan Bills Bayad ( you can check their overseas locations here)
- Crediting time is within 1-3 business days
- Fewer Charges
- No need to send a receipt to COL Financial
- iRemit remittance centers
- BDO overseas remittance (paid through any remittance centers that does direct deposits to any BDO accounts). Click here for remittance details.
Signing up for COL Financial gives you access to their online trading platform where you can have a level of independence and control that you don’t get from offline or traditional trading. Choosing the stocks that meet your preference or financial goals can be done with just a click, and your financial portfolio is easily accessible.
COL Financial also offers a host of online trading and information services, which makes trading a lot easier for investors.
- Automated order placement and execution via the internet
- Access to live quotes and other market statistics
- Online portfolio tracker
- Research materials and market commentaries
- Price charting program and Ticker system display
- The Virtual Tycoon – a simulated stock trading environment
Trading and handling fees
Just like any other stockbrokers COL Financial takes a commission for extending their services and expertise. On top of that, there are other fees involved in the process. The fees are as follows:
|Commission||0.25%||Of the Gross Trade Amount|
|Value Add Tax (VAT)||12%||Of Commission|
|Philippine Stock Exchange Transaction Fee (PSE Trans Fee)||0.005%||Of the Gross Trade Amount|
|Securities Clearing Corporation of the Philippines Fee (SCCP)||0.01%||Of the Gross Trade Amount|
|Sales Tax||No. of Shares x Price x 0.006|
* Note: The Commission fee has a minimum charge of ₱20.00 per transaction. And if you require a broker-assisted trade, the commission charge is .5% of the Gross Trade Amount.
Stock trading basics
The initial foundation that you need to get around COL Financial’s stock trading platform will mostly involve the following steps:
- Reading stocks quotes
The stock quotes will basically provide you a quick glance on the market’s willingness to buy and sell.
The “Ask” column shows the selling price per share of stock. The “Size” column indicates the number of stock shares that traders are selling.
To read a quote efficiently, start by looking at the highest buying price followed by the lowest selling price.
Using our chart below which emphasizes “Buying at ₱ 4.12 and Selling at ₱ 4.14.” To buy directly, you must agree to Buy Up at the seller’s best lowest asking price (which is ₱ 4.14).
On the other hand, if you want to buy shares at a lower price, you can Post and line up in a queue. You can’t buy stocks with this method right away, and you still need to wait for a seller will choose to Sell Down their shares to your desired price.
Once an order is matched, it will be reflected in the Last 5 Trades box showing the details of the trade transaction. This is also known as the Last Trade or the current market price.
- Understanding how the ticker works
The PSE stock ticker is the figure that you will see on the upper right part of your account’s home page. Each figure and color indicates a specific status of a stock. The ticker basically shows all the stocks being traded in real-time and their current price.
The change in color indicates how a certain stock is performing (red if the price fell, green if it went up, and yellow if it remained unchanged).
Below is a quick rundown of the information found inside the ticker and how to interpret them.
How to buy stocks
Once your initial funds have been credited into your account, you will receive an email from COL Financial indicating your log-in details in their online trading portal. This will now give you access to their online trading portal and your online portfolio so that you can start trading!
Initially, you will have to buy stocks to start trading. Here’s you can do that first step to stock trading.
- Open your computer’s browser and type in www.colfinancial.com on the address bar. You will be taken to COL Financial’s website.
- In their website, enter your user ID and password on the text box found on the upper right part of the page, then click “log in.”
- Logging in will take you to your account’s home page where you will see a handful of things related to the activity of the stock market. If you have just created your account, the most important thing to check on this page before you can start buying stocks is your fund – whether it’s been credited or not yet. Your available funds will show up in the “Equity Value” section.
- Before you go ahead and proceed in buying stocks, check whether the market is open. If the market is open, you can proceed with trading. (see image below)
- Click on the “Trade” then you will be taken to the trading page where you will fill out 3 boxes:
- a.) the stock code (click on this text to get the list of stock codes for companies in the listing)
- b.) the number of shares
- c.) price
For your informationt the right side of the screen, you will find columns showing the specifics of a certain stock. One of the most important details to take note there is the “BoardLot” row. It indicates the minimum amount of shares that you can buy for that certain company.
Pro tip!Alternatively, you can find the stock codes and check the marketing activity of all the listed companies at http://edge.pse.com.ph/companyDirectory/form.do
- If you agree with the specifics of your chosen company to buy shares from, fill in the “# of share” box. Do note that, you can only buy shares multiples of the company’s indicated “Board lot” (minimum shares required to buy).
- In the “Price” text box, enter the amount you want to buy the shares for. Base your buying price on the “ASK” column.
Pro tipBuy at the ASK, Sell at the BID
- Click “Preview Order” to check the details of your purchase. You will then be taken to this page.
- At the “Preview Order” page, you need to enter your password in the text box provided at the bottom to proceed and place your buy order.
- Once you have confirmed your buy order by entering your password, you will land on the page showing the details of your buy order. You can check the status of your order in the “Trading History” section under the “Trade” tab.
Do note that a buy order does not complete your purchase immediately. You will have to wait for your order to be accepted by the company. Some orders don’t get executed when shares selling at the price indicated by the buyer get sold out or completely. Thus, buyers will have to indicate another buying price.
Withdrawing funds from your COL Financial account
Withdrawals from a COL Financial account is done by first filling up the Fund Withdrawal form found in the COL Financial’s portal.
- Under the “Home” tabs, find the “Forms” menu function.
- It will then show you a list of forms that you can download for different purposes. Just choose the one under the “Form Needed for Withdrawal of Funds” section.
- Completely fill-up the details necessary in the form.
For your informationIn the form, there’s an option for you to have the funds deposited to your bank account or have it given to you in check which you can pick up at their business center.
- Send a copy by fax at (632) 634-6958 or email to email@example.com addressed to COL Financial’s accounting department.
It’s a false pretense that stocks trading is only for the affluent. The Philippine Stocks Exchange is an opportunity that every Filipino should leverage on, as it’s the only method for an average citizen to directly reap the fruits of a country’s economy. It does not require a huge chunk of cash in order to get started, so everyone can easily open their own portfolio. You can start small with just ₱5,000 to buy you a good number of shares/ stocks.
While the stock market is one of the safest options to grow your money, it still comes with risks. Thus, before you dive in with all of your hard-earned money, it’s always best to tap the assistance of experts like COL Financial on your next move.