How To Apply For An NBI Clearance Online
An NBI clearance is one of the most essential documents for employment, overseas work, or even setting up a business in the Philippines. As the name implies, it’s a clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation proving that you are not involved in any criminal cases in the country.
- Places of birth
- Data of issuance
- Purpose of requesting
What is the validity of NBI clearance?
An NBI clearance is only valid for 6 months to 1 year.
Getting an NBI clearance used to be a very painstaking and manual process. Thankfully in 2018, the government implemented an online application system for booking an appointment with the NBI. Unlike before where you have to come to NBI early at dawn to be first in line, you can now secure your own schedule to process your NBI clearance seamlessly.
The appointment process is really easy! We’ll walk you through from start to finish with this guide.
NBI clearance online registration
1. Open your browser and go to https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/ to register or sign in to your existing account.
For first time visitors, you should register for a new account.
2a. Register new account
The page will then ask you if you have an old NBI clearance – clearance that was released before January 2014. If you have one, click “Yes.” It will then ask you for your old NBI clearance number.
2b. If you answered “No”, you will then be asked to fill-up the form below.
If you don’t have a middle name, type in “Not Applicable” or “MNU” (Middle Name Unknown.) If you have “Ñ” and it isn’t accepted, bring that to the attention of the NBI official upon your face-to-face appointment so that they can correct it on their records. Each letter of your name is very important to ensure it doesn’t match with anyone else in their records.
After the registration, you can now log-in and set an appointment.
Face-to-face appointment setting
- Sign-in using the email address and password you used to register your account.
- Click “Edit Information” then fill up all the necessary information if you haven’t yet then click “Save Information” and then “Apply For Clearance” on the upper right side of the form.
- Choose which ID you will present as proof of identity during your appointment. Only the following IDs will be recognized :
- Voter’s ID
- SSS ID
- PRC License
- Postal ID
- Driver’s License
- GSIS UMID
- School ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) ID
- NSO Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Senior Citizen Card
- Copy of Previous NBI Clearance
- Choose the branch and the date you can drop by the NBI and the reason why you’re securing the clearance.
- Choose how you want to pay for the NBI clearance. Should you pay using their e-payment service, there will be an extra fee of PHP 25.00. The following are the mode of payments available for NBI clearance:
- Bank Over the Counter
- Online Banking
- Bayad Center Outlets (E.g. Cebuana Lhuillier, SM Savemore, LBC, Robinsons, Palawan Pawnshop, etc.)
- Bayad Center Mobile App (Download the Bayad Center app in the App Store or Google Play store.)
- ECPay (RD Pawnshop, Petron Corporation, San Mig Food Avenue, etc.)
- A pop-up window will appear showing a summary of your payment and your appointment. Just click “Proceed to Payment” to complete the process.
- Another pop-up window will appear showing your reference number. Take note of the information shown in the popup window because you will need them during your appointment with NBI.
NBI Clearance appointment day
Here are the things you need to remember and take with you during your appointment with NBI:
1. Bring 2 Valid ID
2. Make sure to wear decent clothes, it’s a must in government offices. It doesn’t have to be formal, casual wear will do as long as it doesn’t look inappropriate. Avoid wearing the following:
- Sleeveless tops
- Spaghetti straps
- See-through clothes
- Tank tops (sando)
When you’re in the NBI office, here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Proceed to the photo and fingerprint taking section first. Provide them your reference number or application form then get your picture and fingerprints taken.
- The NBI officers will show their screen to review your details. This is your last chance to correct your name or other particulars to make sure it doesn’t match with someone else’s name and information. Tell the NBI officer if some corrections are needed.
If you get a “HIT” status, NBI will then schedule another date for you to return. If not, you will then be asked to proceed to the next step.
Applying for NBI Clearance abroad
Proceed to the printing section and wait for your name to be called to claim your NBI clearance.
If you’re an OFW or a Filipino residing in another country and you need to get an NBI clearance for some reason, you can still do so. However, the process is different and you won’t be able to do it online.
Applying for NBI Clearance overseas will be through the Philippine embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Here are steps when applying for an NBI Clearance overseas according to the Department of Justice.
- Go to the nearest Philippine embassy or consulate in your country of residence
- Ask for an NBI Clearance application form (NBI Form No. 5)
- Fill out the form
- The officers in the embassy or consulate will take your fingerprint
- The officer in the embassy will then sign the form
- Attach the following to your form:
- Recent 2×2 picture with white background
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of other valid IDs
- Register to NBI’s online portal. Click apply for clearance and copy the reference number. This will be used for the retrieval of your data.
- Prepare a money order, bank draft, or cash worth PHP 200.00 (PHP115 for clearance fee and PHP85 to send clearance certificate).
- Mail the completed application to:
Ms. Sandra P. Sobida
Mailed Clearance Section
3rd Floor, NBI Clearance Bldg.
UN Avenue, Ermita, Manila
Contact Number 523-8231 loc 5465
- Processing time is 5 days from the date the documents are received by the NBI director.
- Relatives who process the NBI clearance in the Philippines for an applicant who is overseas will be required to have an authorization letter.
- For renewal; If you have an earlier NBI clearance (2011-2014), certificates shall be authenticated by ICTD (Information and Communication Division). Send it and follow steps 3 to 6.
- If you have NBI Clearance for 2014 and beyond with no correction, just have it authenticated by ICTD following steps 3, 5, and 6, skip 4.
- Please check NBI dry-seal when receiving the NBI clearance.
- Authentication Process Fee (for fingerprint or documents) will differ per country.
Images from twomonkeystravelgroup.com
Leave your comment