10 Recruitment Agencies Banned From Recruiting OFWs
10 recruitment agencies had their licenses revoked by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration due to recruitment violations. This move came after the Secretary of Labor Silvestre Bello III ordered to fast track the cases of recruitment agencies.
The recruitment agencies that were included in the blacklist are the following:
- Al Bayan International Manpower Services Co.
- Bumiputra Gulf Company Inc.
- Gold Fortune Human Resources Corp.
- LFC International Human Resources
- Aisis International Manpower Incorporated
- Greatworld International Management Inc.
- GlobalGate International Manpower Services Inc.
- MMML Recruitment Services Inc.
- SML Human Resources Inc.
- Best Migrant Workers International Manpower Services Inc.
Aside from these 10 agencies whose licenses got revoked, POEA also revoked NRS Placement’s license after it got penalized for four-months due to a different case. The agencies mentioned above are no longer permitted to recruit or place overseas workers for employment. POEA also named five personnels connected to some of the agencies mentioned, and filed appropriate cases against them.
The Philippine government started its crack down on overseas recruitment violators due to the heightened government scrutiny on abuses of OFWs. This followed after the death of a Filipina domestic worker in Kuwait, Joana Demafelis, who was found dead in a freezer. Her death set the precedent to the total ban of OFWs in Kuwait. Additionally, a Senate probe on how OFWs are treated abroad has been initiated.