Top Free Online Courses You Can Take Anytime
Quarantine or not, online learning is here to stay. Even before the pandemic has pushed everyone to stay home, encouraging e-learning platforms to offer free courses, there are those who have been in the game for a long time and have been offering it for free all this time.
It’s never really a bad idea to fill in your free time with some new learnings, no matter what the circumstances are. So, if you’re in the market for a good e-learning platform that will not cost you a cent, here are our top recommendations!
These websites are offering online education and training resources for free, with or without the pandemic.
You don’t need to search far and wide on the internet for online courses if you’re simply looking to learn practical skills that can take you further in life. Our very own state-run Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) has opened its portal to everyone for free.
They currently have 68 short online courses in their catalog, and completing any of these courses will earn you a certificate. As mentioned, the courses are mostly practical – those which commonly provide better job opportunities to many Filipinos here and abroad.
- Fruit Grower (Agriculture Sector)
- Diesel Engine Tune-Up (Automotive Servicing Sector)
- Automotive Battery Servicing (Automotive Servicing Sector)
- Solar Night Light Assembly (Electronics Sector)
- Star Online Training Program (Electronics Sector)
- Managing Your Personal Finances
- Start and Improve your Business
- Foundations of Massage Practice (Massage Therapy 1 of 4)
- Fundamentals of Massage Therapy (Massage Therapy 2 of 4)
- Swedish Massage (Massage Therapy 3 of 4)
- Shiatsu Massage (Massage Therapy 4 of 4)
- Packaged Air Conditioner Unit Servicing (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)
- Basic Computer Operation Intel Easy Steps (Information and Communication Technology)
- SMART Android Mobile Apps Development for Beginners (Information and Communication Technology)
- SMART Technopreneurship 101 (Information and Communication Technology)
- Web Development using HTML5 and CSS3 (Information and Communication Technology)
- C# Fundamentals for Beginners (Information and Communication Technology)
- Software Development Fundamentals (Information and Communication Technology)
- Android 4.0 Programming in Java (Information and Communication Technology)
- Job Interview Skills Training Course (Lifelong Learning)
- How to Build Confidence in Your Abilities Lifelong Learning)
- Skills to Succeed Academy (Lifelong Learning)
- Ships’ Catering NC III Update (Maritime)
- Beauty Care Services (Nail Care) NC II
- Preparing Cakes (Bread And Pastry Production NC II)
- Fundamentals of Professional Cookery (Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Meat Dishes(Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Poultry and Game Dishes (Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Seafood Dishes (Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Eggs, Vegetable and Farinaceous Dishes (Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Stock Soup and Sauces (Cookery NC II)
- Preparing Appetizers (Preparing Cold Meals [COC2])
- Preparing Salads and Salad Dressing (Preparing Cold Meals [COC2])
- Preparing Sandwiches (Preparing Cold Meals [COC2])
- Preparing Desserts (Preparing Cold Meals [COC3])
- Introduction to Food and Beverage Service (Food And Beverage Servicing NC II)
- Providing Table Service (Food And Beverage Servicing NC II)
- Providing Room Service (Food And Beverage Servicing NC II)
- Provide Housekeeping Services to Guests (Housekeeping NC II)
- Providing Guest Room Services (Housekeeping NC II)
- Providing Valet Services (Housekeeping NC II)
- Providing Laundry Services (Housekeeping NC II)
- Providing Public Area Services (Housekeeping NC II)
- Deal With Intoxicated Guest (Housekeeping NC II)
- Introduction to Front Office Services (Front Office Services)
- Providing Front Office Services (Front Office Services)
- Plan Training Session – Deliver Training Session (Coc1)
- Facilitate Learning Session – Deliver Training Session (Coc1)
- Utilize Electronic Media in Facilitating Training – Deliver Training Session (Coc1)
- Maintaining Training Facilities – Deliver Training Session (Coc1)
- Supervising Work-based training – Deliver Training Session (Coc1)
- Conduct Competency Assessment (Coc2)
- Conduct Competency Assessment
- Curriculum Development (Trainers Methodology II)
- Orient Oneself To Environmental Sustainable Work Standards (Environmental Literacy)
- Environmental Literacy – Exercising Sustainable Development in the Workplace (Environmental Literacy)
- Receiving and Responding to Workplace Communication (Communication)
- Participating in Workplace Communication (Communication)
For Alpha Testing
- Introduction to Food Processing (Food Processing NC II)
- Processing Food by Salting, Curing and Smoking (Food Processing NC II)
- Processing Food by Fermenting and Pickling (Food Processing NC II)
- Processing Food by Sugar Concentration (Food Processing NC II)
- Processing Food by Drying And Dehydration (Food Processing NC II)
- Processing Food by Thermal Application (Food Processing NC II)
- Introduction to Computer Systems Servicing (Computer Systems Servicing NC II)
- Installing and Configuring Computer Systems (Computer Systems Servicing NC II)
- Setting up Computer Networks (Computer Systems Servicing NC II)
- Setting up Computer Servers (Computer Systems Servicing NC II)
- Maintaining Computer Systems and Networks (Computer Systems Servicing NC II)
You’ll get a complete course for each course they are offering which can take up to 4 weeks to complete depending on your pacing. All of their learning resources are for free and even the assessment after you’ve completed the course.
The face-to-face assessment is necessary for you to take if you want to earn a certificate for completing your chosen course.
The certificate that they will grant upon completion of these courses and assessment is a National Certificate (NC) – a widely recognized vocational certificate in the country. You can take the assessment at any TESDA accredited center or venue.
Made for pros and aspiring tech experts. Codecademy offers a wide range of programs ranging from web development to data science and everything in between. If you want to acquire some basic or intermediate coding skills to further augment your resume, this is the perfect place to look for resources.
- Web development
- Data science
- Game development
- Courses on specific skills such as analyzing data or building chat bots with Python, creating video games with Phaser, visualizing data, and building websites.
You can sign up for a free basic account which gives you access to basic courses and limited mobile access.
What do you get?
Paid access will grant you unlimited mobile practice, real-world projects, step-by-step guidance, peer support, and member-only exclusive content. Plus all the basic access you could get from the free membership
Bill Gates is one of this e-learning site’s biggest supporters, pouring in more than $9 million to the organization running this institution to make e-learning accessible for everyone. In a nutshell, this is a non-profit organization with a goal in mind to make education accessible to everyone.
Khan Academy is an e-learning platform for everyone of all ages and different interests. They don’t just offer courses, they offer actual classes with real people running the virtual classes in their platform. This platform is massive due to the way education is delivered and its expansive catalog of subjects cover everything from pre-school learning to college-level classes, and even career-specific courses.
And the best thing about it, is that all of it is free. Gleaning from their website:
“A world-class education for anyone, anywhere. 100% free.”
As mentioned above, they don’t just offer courses, but they also offer classes. If you want to take courses from the website, you can sign up as either a “Learner” or a “Parent”.
Membership is free.
You can learn according to your grade or professional level.
1. Primary / Elementary
- Kindergarten / Year 0
- Grade 1 / Year 1
- Grade 2 / Year 2
- Grade 3 / Year 3
- Grade 4 / Year 4
- Grade 5 / Year 5
- Grade 6 / Year 6
2. Secondary / High school
- Grade 7 / Year 7
- Grade 8 / Year 8
- Grade 9 / Year 9
- Grade 10 / Year 10
- Grade 11 / Year 11
- Grade 12 / Year 12
3. University / Adult learner
On the other hand, you can also pattern your course according to your chosen subject or expertise:
- Early math
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 2
- Statistics & probability
- AP®︎ Calculus AB
- AP®︎ Calculus BC
- AP®︎ Statistics
- Multivariable calculus
- Differential equations
- Linear algebra
Math by grade
- Preschool app
- 1st grade
- 2nd grade
- 3rd grade
- 4th grade
- 5th grade
- 6th grade
- 7th grade
- 8th grade
- Illustrative Mathematics
- Eureka Math/EngageNY
- High school
Khan Kids app (ages 2-7)
- Math, Reading & Social Emotional Learning
Science & engineering
- AP®︎ Physics 1
- AP®︎ Physics 2
- Cosmology & astronomy
- AP®︎ Chemistry beta
- AP®︎ Chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- High school biology
- AP®︎ Biology
- Health & medicine
- Electrical engineering
- Computer programming
- Computer science
- AP®︎ Computer Science Principles
- Hour of Code
- Computer animation
Arts & humanities
- US history
- AP®︎ US History
- World history
- AP®︎ World History
- US government and civics
- AP®︎ US Government & Politics
- Art history
- AP®︎ Art History
Economics & finance
- AP®︎ Macroeconomics
- AP®︎ Microeconomics
- Finance & capital markets
- Praxis Core
- IIT JEE
College, careers, & more
- College admissions
- Personal finance
- Growth mindset
This online e-learning platform is completely free. Not only will this grant you access to their expansive library of subjects to learn from, but kids can also participate in virtual classes, while adults can plan their career goals. They even provide counseling on how to pay for your college tuition.
At the moment though, Khan Academy does award certificates. Instead, you get energy points with medals and avatars.
Harvard Online Learning
Harvard Online Learning has long been offering free online courses in technology, business, philosophy, health and medicine, science, and art and design primarily. Their courses are more of specialization of your chosen field, perfect if you want to further augment your credentials. Their courses here are self-paced and may take you 6 to 9 hours per week to complete. Most of their programs take about 5 to 13 weeks and are taught by Harvard University faculty and staff. They offer free online courses, but they primarily are offering their courses at a cost, but for a dime a dozen compared to the cost of enrolling in Harvard University physically.
- Art and Design
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Education and Teaching
- Health and Medicine
- Social Sciences
Their catalog for the free online courses isn’t as expansive and career-specific as their paid ones which would cost USD$1,800 and above.
It’s worth noting that if you’re only after their free online courses, you’ll be limited to their 97 chosen courses or subjects. Plus, if you want to receive a verified certificate after completing any of these free courses, you’ll have to shell out a small fee for it.